This recipe makes the most delicious, moist (and light as suffle) decadent chocolate cake.
200g butter (7/8 cup)
200g very good quality dark chocolate, chopped (2 cups)
250g granulated sugar (1 1/8 cups)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon dark rum
1 jar of dulce de leche for the topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 F/177′C. Line an 8-inch round cake tin with baking parchment and butter the parchment.
2. In double boiler (or microwave), melt butter and chocolate. Let cool for a few minutes. Scrape the butter and chocolate into a larger bowl and stir in the sugar.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks together. Add 1/2 cup of sugar to the yolks, whisking well until the mixture turns thick and pale yellow. Add the rum and gradually add the cooled chocolate mixture to the yolks mixture, whisking until combined. Stir in the flour.
4. Whisk the egg whites together with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar and beat the egg whites till they hold their shape but are not dry.
5. Fold the egg whites in three batches into the yolk mixture only until just combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake just until the top is dry and cracking, but the centre of the cake still wobbles slightly, about 25 minutes. Keep a close eye after 20 minutes and be careful not to overbake.
6. Allow the cake to cool completely in the tin. Gently transfer the cake to a plate and add the topping.